Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Training for Field Trials


As stated earlier in the blog I encountered field trials one as a lifelong curiosity, but also as a way to extend the hunting season. And in the vein of extending my hunting season I was under the illusion that I could send my dog to the trainer, and he would come back and perform flawlessly without any further need of practice or training from me.

This plan worked rather successfully for our Junior Hunt Title when the demands on the dog are minimal. But as the more is required of the dog, and as competition is introduced in the field trials, the less likely a couple months of professional training is going to be adequate.

Field Trial dogs that need to be steady to wing and shot require a fair amount of follow up by the handler. Oh sure, you can send your dog to a Pro for an indefinite period of time and allow them to campaign your dog all over the state or country to gain your Field Champion title but that is a rather expensive proposition. I ask John Rabidou  of Uodibar Kennels how much such a proposition would costs and he estimated about $8000.00. I for one do not have $8000 for dog training, and nor do I want my dog with someone else for roughly 3 of his first 5 years. So I have to take the “poor man’s” approach. But reality is that if you are going to be a successful handler of you own dog, pro trained or not, you have to know at the very least some basic training techniques. Likewise I would say that if your dog is going to be a field champion you should count on it having to spend some time with a pro.

For me my dog was trained to be steady to wing and shot and to retrieve by the pro I bought him from. Her name is Stacey Anderson of Anderson Range Gun Dogs. In fact when I picked him up from his last training session she fully demonstrated his abilities on live game. However, I did not know there would be “maintenance” required. How dare my dog need me to reinforce the training I just spent good money on.  Over the next several months and hundreds of dead quail my dog rather quickly taught himself that when the quail falls, it’s time to go and get it. And frankly I didn’t even notice because I was too busy enjoying myself. But when we got to a competition and my wow command on point no longer was effective I knew something had to change.

One thing I have learned is that when you think your dog knows something you have got to do it 10,000 more times before he really has it. And unfortunately those 10,000 time have to be done in 15 or 30 min intervals over weeks and months, otherwise you run the risk of burning your dog out, or making him mechanical. And in the field trial world mechanical is bad. Remember the judges want an independent desire.  The want to see a dog that looks like he is out there because he wants to be. And as dogs have different personalities and tolerances for obedience and discipline the amount and intensity of training needs to be measured accordingly.
And so we recreational handlers must also acquire training skills if we are going to successfully compete in field trials. This means that you will need a large area to train. I personally train with some wonderful people on their 25 acre farm. If you will get involved with your local gun dog club you will also find there is probably an economical training lease in your area. Many of our club members train in a common area.

Next you are really going to need a supply of live birds. Pigeons are the best because they are reusable, but quail or other game birds work well. Just their return rate is not as high. But having live birds also means having some form of coup and the added responsibility of feeding and watering the birds at least on a weekly basis. But rather than re-invent the wheel, again get involved with your local club. There will be someone there needing the same thing.

You will need some other training gear as well. Check cords, blank pistol, e-collar, and other items to make your training a success. I will go over some of the gear in a later post, but suffice to say that again the local club is the best resource for finding some of the items.

Lastly it takes some sense of dedication. Your dog needs yard work often. Healing and wowing and retrieving can be done every day in the yard. Aside from sharpening the skills it also establishes and maintains the proper working relationship. I personally train my dog on birds once a week, but try to get him out to run at least twice. By run I mean 30 min to an hour of running in the open hunting. Fortunately we have access to a 300 acre ranch for this.

Just remember though… once your dog gets it right you are a thousand more training attempts from that same dog getting it right 90% of the time. And in the process of this “training” you will be trained as a handler. And when you do go to the field trials and people give you “advice.” Treat that advice like bubble gum. Chew on it until the flavor is gone and then spit it out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment