Wednesday, February 13, 2013

SportDog TEK 1.0 Locator Trainer System –Review


I was introduced to the SportDog TEK  1.0 Locator Trainer System over the weekend at the Region 7 NGSPA Championship. And I must say I am kicking myself for buying the Garmin over this model.

The primary reason I bought the Garmin over the SportDog is that I did not need a combination unit as I already have a SportDog e-collar. And primarily because I did not think the Locator Trainer combination was legal for AKC field trials.

The combination COLLAR is illegal, however what I do not read in any of the sales material is that the e-collar complete with its antenna are completely removable with only a couple of screws. So for less money than the Garmin Astro GPS a person can get both e-collar and GPS. It in fact just rides as a separate unit atop the location collar. 

Even better, the handheld unit has programmable buttons. So the user can custom configure a button to be momentary, continuous, or escalating pulse… along with what seems like infinite control of intensity.

If you don’t want to remove the e-collar portion to run field trials, then you can buy an extra locator collar for under $160.

I was told the package also comes with a longer range antenna, but I personally did not get to use that feature.

For me I hope the collar helps with my dog being collar wise, as his training and running field trials will be in virtually the same collar. Surely that will fool my dog.



No comments:

Post a Comment